Thursday, March 19, 2009

Things that I Love about the Danish Culture

So previously I had published a list of things that you would never see in America. As I adapt to life over here (tomorrow is my 7 month anniversary!), there are things about Danes and their culture that I would LOVE to bring back home with me. Here is a short list - and hopefully I will be able to continue on as time wears on...


-Hygge (cozy) atmosphere - whether you are at dinner at a friends, or just hanging out and watching movies or playing games...the environment is so warm and friendly. Lights are dimmed or off; candles are lit; music is on; it just feels so warm and cozy. I love that, and I hope candles continue to be a big part of my life.
-Danish windows! I will take a picture and post later. I love the way Danish windows are set up! They are so clean and sleek, and swing open instead of pulling up. There are also no screens here, so when you open up the window, it is just the wide-open fresh air. Although back in the US, I am not so sure that you can survive without screens on your windows.
-Danish design and style. This is specifically regarding home goods and furnishings. Everything is so clean and sleek and simple and modern. Very high-tech, not cluttered at all. Who needs all that junk anyway?
-The work culture. Your family and personal life definitely takes precedence. Most every day I work, everyone leaves by 3 or 4. Very rarely do they stay until 5, and never until 6. The lunch break is always taken; people do not often take work home. PLUS - Danes get 5 weeks of vacation right off the bat, and only work 37 hour work weeks. Nice.
-Aspects of the Danish clothing and style. Again, very simplistic in nature, but very trendy at the same time. And although I sometimes love to wear heels, I love how it is completely acceptable for girls to wear flat boots and shoes all the time!
-I also love the way Danes value their relationships. Although they can be very protective and closed off, once you break through that wall, they can be the most loving, friendly people. And the idea that family and friends come first is amazing. I think as Americans, we are constantly on the go, and don't slow down and take time to enjoy each other's company like I have experienced through Danish culture and my friends here.
-I love the seemingly slower pace of life here. A bit more relaxed than in America where I feel like we are constantly on the go.
That is all for now...hopefully the list will be 'to be continued' later!

No comments: