Sunday, March 25, 2012

Danish Dentists

I am very protective of my teeth and how they look - possibly because my dad has worked in the industry for a long time, and I have been fortunate to have some work done :)

It is interesting, that Europeans think Americans are a bit manufactured. And they think all of us have extremely white teeth. And straight teeth - their strategy is that they don't get work done on their teeth unless they have to - sort of, if it's not broke, don't fix it mentality.

While living in Denmark, I have continued to get my regular dental work done when I go back home. Healthcare is free in Denmark, but that does not apply to dental work - and it is fairly expensive.

It was interesting at a lunch at work recently, I overheard people telling the following two stories:

*One woman's dentist used to serve beer in the waiting room, instead of coffee, because he did not like the smell of coffee breath when he was working on his patients

*Another woman's dentist used to give shots of snaps (this is like, 100-proof grain alcohol...yuck!) around Christmas time; apparently they recently stopped because they had elderly people taking 1- to 2 shots, and then driving home, which was not a good combination.

Crazy, the relation of alcohol to daily life!

No comments: