Monday, September 7, 2009

GRENÅ Summer House

I was invited to spend the weekend at a Danish summer house in GRENÅ, which is on the 'nose' of the peninsula I live on. I finally got to go see what this whole summer house thing is about! It was house of the parent's of my soccer coaches friend - so I went with my good guy friends and some of the soccer girls. It was a weekend of just relaxing, having some drinks, going to the beach - kind of a nice little getaway from the city.



The weekend was over the 4th of July weekend, which was nice that I had a way to semi-celebrate. Also, I had heard and read that the largest 4th of July celebration outside of the US, actually takes place in Denmark! It is a celebration of the Danish-American partnership, and takes place in a park called Rebild - and is outside of the city of Aalborg.



The celebration was not a big deal - I was expecting fireworks or something...definitely did not happen. It was nice to go and see what it was like, but the celebration was mainly speeches and older people - not so great for the crowd of young people I brought with, not to mention the fact that it was scorching hot!






It was so hot!!! We needed water!


My Danish friends having a nail-hammering contest into a log




We are playing in the little pioneer/Indian town


The state of Nebraska


The flags of the 50 states lining the walk - kind of cool to see this in another country


I LOVE this picture. Very representative of my new life now!



The crew as we walked into Rebild

Soeren, being a nerd in the back of the car

Kenny, one of my soccer coaches

Sommerhus 2009

Laying on the beach, relaxing

Our friend, the dead crab we found

Notice the 'jelly fish'? They were all lined up on the beach and I have never seen anything like this!

The boys, recovering


When the boys rolled out of bed, this was their spot in the morning

Kanne and Kenny


The Danish boys trying to teach me to open a bottle with a lighter...and I can kind of do it now!

Britt and Chanett

No comments: