Saturday, January 16, 2010

New Years Eve in Aarhus

I spent my first New Years Even holiday in Aarhus this year. For the most part, most Danes like to have/attend private parties, as it is extremely expensive to go out in the city on those nights - on top of the added craziness of all the drunks!

I spent New Years with some of my closest friends - essentially my soccer coaches and the girls I am closest to on the team. We paid a certain amount, and that allowed us to have dinner catered, have drinks all night, as well as decorations, etc.

The party was held at my head coach's (Mathias) parent's apartment. They are pretty well-off, and have a large apartment in Danish standards, on the top floor of a building right in the city center. There are two balconies where we were able to easily watch the fireworks that were shot off after midnight.

One interesting thing about Danish culture is they all crowd around the tv to listen to the Queen speak - she speaks annually on New Years even around 6pm, and talks about the past year, the upcoming year, etc. They were all glued to the big screen, so that was kind of interesting to see!


This picture is awesome, but not really tell-tale of the evening. My good friend Chanett.

Chanett, Lonnie, me

Me and Mathias

Me and Kanne

Betina and Lonnie

Chanett

I LOVED blowing these decoration things!

Chanett shooting off some thing that spewed paper everywhere

Nanna and I - Nanna was the first person I met when I moved here, my buddy from the very beginning.

Jesper and Nanna

Our dinner table

This is my Danish friends singing a Danish song at midnight.

No comments: