Monday, February 9, 2009

December and January in the US!!!!!

So, I will have to be honest. I was nervous about my trip back to the US. My fear was that I would see my world back home through different eyes, since I have seen so many different things and have grown accustomed to them. I am happy to report, that I did NOT!!! The first thing and only thing I really noticed was when I got off the plane in Chicago at O'Hare airport, I remember thinking, 'dang, Americans ARE loud!' But I was so pleased that day, and everyday after, to be able to understand everything that was going on around me. It is the little things - like, in Denmark, I get anxiety anytime I have to checkout, especially at the grocery store. They are so fast and systematic, I try not to say anything to them. I try to just pay and smile and say thanks. But sometimes they will throw in a statement that I don't understand, like, 'Do you want cashback?' And then you have to say, English, please? That is the worst. So it was so nice being home and being able to say hi, thank you, have a good day, etc, to people, very naturally, and to not have to think about it. I could probably say more Danish in actual context then I do, but I get nervous because Danes don't understand our accent when we pronounce words, and I end up having to say it 2 or 3 times in Danish anyway, and then switch to English!



The trip home was great, but a long one. Weird, I know, but it is long when it is no longer your home, and you are living out of a suitcase. I visited St. Louis, Omaha/Lincoln, Phoenix, as well as Dallas. It was great to see so many people, and stunk to miss those that I missed.



I loved visiting my favorite restaraunts and going out, but for the most part, I just relaxed. It was what I most wanted to do, to hang out with my friends and family. And for those of you who are curious - yes, I was crazy, and yes, I did bring Lincoln to Denmark with me! My roommate Rachel loves her, so that works out well. Honestly, she is a piece of home for me. I missed her so much, and it is nice to have her to cuddle with and play with. I just feel bad for taking her from her best friend, Sadie (Kevin's dog). At any rate, she did really, REALLY well. I did give her a tranquilizer and was scared for a little while...her eyes were getting so red in the corners. She barely made any noise, and when she did, I just stuck my hand in the bag/cage thing I was carrying her in and pet her for a little while. I did sneak her on my lap (in the bag still, but let her head stick out) on the flight from Chicago to Copenhagen for two hours. I just felt bad for her, but she was a trooper! And my new friends here are already falling in love with her.



I talk about you all so much to my new Danish and international friends. I hope some of you can make it over here to see me so I can show my new world. I miss everyone, but am having a blast now. This was the right decision at the right time for me. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right?



So, here are pics of some of the people and places I visited!





Sadie and Lincoln, BFF. Sad that mom lost Lincoln, Sadie and Kevin in the same day! PS - Lincoln is the bad ass and takes toys away from Sadie! That's my girl!


Abby (my cousin) and I in Lincoln - yes, at Dairy Queen, and yes, a Mudpie Blizzard, which I only get when I am with Abby, because years later, I still don't know the ingredients to ask for, since they only know what a Mudpie is in Lincoln!! :)

We were at Granny's. Kev was real happy to have his picture taken by his sister!

Mom and Lincoln at her house


Me holding my newest cousin (well not really, but for ease's sake - my cousin's baby) Elliot. He was brand new, only 3 weeks old!

Granny drinking the Danish gløgg I brought home for her to try (red wine mixed with a liquid spicey thing). And I quote, 'How much of this can I drink before I get loaded, Liz?' 'I am not sure Granny, why, are you loaded?' 'No, but I want some more!!!!!' Go Granny, go!

Lane (cousin) at mom's in Lincoln, with Lincoln, and a BL in hand! Miss that! Lane always manages to drive in town when I come home :)

Lincoln and I in Kevin's car at the airport in Omaha. She DID remember me after 5+ months!!!!

Excuse my usual Chinese eyes...Kelly and I in StL.

Colleen and I in StL.


Cathy and I in StL

Naz and I at Pueblo Solis!!! Mama's big night out!


Anny and I in StL - she was amazing and drove in from Chicago for one night to see me!

Kelly and her daughter, Emma. We were at my first meal out in the US - Qdoba - and I had chips with queso, a burrito, and a Dr. Pepper!

Little Daniel Yusuf Baker! The first day I met him...he is a doll!

After we got back from the pediatrician

Awful picture of me (had been traveling for basically 24 hours!) but Chad picked me up from the airport!

Chad at the airport

My dad in Phoenix
I was out with my cousin Grant, and look what I found?!?!

My cousin Grant and I in Phoenix

My friend Lisa and I my first night in Dallas

Some of my closest friends from Dallas (all originally Neiman's girls, only two remaining!): Ashley, Brittany and Lisa

My brother Tim and his girlfriend Jessica, and yes, that is how many plates we had on the table for a mexican dinner for four!

No comments: