Sunday, July 10, 2011

Home for the Engagement

When I found out Tim was going to propose to his girlfriend and that there would be a small family celebration afterwards, this was definitely one of those life events I did not want to miss. I booked a flight home as quick as I could, because I wanted to be a part of that.

It was great. We (mom, Kevin, Shari and I) met Tim for lunch while Jess was getting her hair done - she did not know anyone was in town. He filled us in on his plans, took us to the winery where he talked to the woman there who was going to help orchestrate everything as well. I had to hold the special wine bottle (one of Jess' favorites, apparently, and with a special label with a pictures of Tim and Jess under the words 'Will you marry me?'). I was totally nervous that I was going to drop the bottle! We went out to the area at the winery where Tim was going to propose, and he sat around, checking things out, asking for opinions, etc. It was wonderful to play a small role in all of that. We then separated for a few hours while he was going to get Jess and then go to the winery. We met back up at their favorite Mexican restaurant - Uncle Julio's - to celebrate, and then continued the celebration back at their apartment.

I was also able to spend some time near Fort Hood, Texas, with Kevin in his new home that he literally just got like a week before. I tried to help with unpacking some boxes and things as best I could - but it was nice to be able to see such an important thing in his life as well.

The trip home was wonderful, as usual, filled with family and friends. The awful part was I was sick with a pretty bad cold, the ENTIRE TIME. I could not even eat or drink my favorite things because I could not taste them anyway.

The moral of the story for me, and I hope for others, as well, is that, while I physically live far away, it is still possible to be present and to be a part of big events - so continue to ask me, continue to inform me - I still want to be included.

Down on one knee - I am impressed!




The Fletcher's and the Jones' at Uncle Julio's

No comments: