Saturday, December 13, 2008

School Update

My last actual class was last Thursday. It is awesome to be done with class, but now I am preparing for everything that lies ahead of me the next month.

Rachel and I, along with our two other group members (Victor and Dana - from Romania) are working on our resesearch project and paper for our Research Methods class. Everyone is going home for the holidays over different times, so we are going to have to do a lot of this over the computer. The project will be turned in Jan 3 while I am home, and I will have an oral exam to defend the paper the first week I am back 'home' - in Denmark.

We have a 3 hour open book (essay) exam on Tuesday for our Economics of Strategy class. I am not too worried about this. I have already taken an exam with this professor earlier in the semester and did well.

While I am home in the US, I have to sign online and take an oral exam via Skype on Jan 10th for my Economic Psychology test. I get an essay question, and have 2 hours to prepare for it. Then I am online with my professors, defend my essay, and then verbally answer 10 multiple choice questions. Keeping in mind the time difference, this will all be taking place around 4am...yikes!

I will also bring my books from Danish class home with me so I can continue to study and learn the language. This is totally extra-curricular, but something that I really want to learn. Danes are a bit closed-off by nature, but I have managed to break down that wall with a handful of them. I can honestly say (aside from Rachel) my closest friends here are all Danish, not international students. But there is a certain level of intimacy that will never be achieved until I can communicate with them in their language.

Stinks that I have schoolwork to do while I am home, but at the same time, all I really want to do is hang out at home with friends and family - so there should be plenty of down time.

Here is my schedule again - flights are booked, so let me know if you want to hang out! Email is probably best to get in contact, as I will have my international cell phone with me.

Dec 28 - Jan 3...StL, baby! I can't WAIT to see Kelly and her kids, who are like my nieces and nephews (I will adopt them, since I don't have any!); I get to meet Naz's baby Daniel for the first time (3 month old, little "D" - who is my little nephew as well); I am sure there will be good times with the Neiman's people (you know who you are!), Jess, Tammy, Tim, Colleen, soccer people, etc. I get my haircut, teeth cleaned, and get to talk to my girl Jenn Gafford! And Anny is coming in town to see me, too! And of course, food! Pueblo Solis! Mr. Goodcents! Bread Co! I am so excited!
Jan 3 - Jan 8...Omaha, Lincoln! My mom, my bro Kevin (sorry, hope you don't have your new assignment yet so you are still there!) my Granny, my aunts, uncles, cousins (my cousins brand new, what will be 3 week old baby when I meet him, Elliot!)...my Grandma, Lisa T, etc. And sorry, not at all to downplay any of you :) But MOST importantly....my baby girl Lincoln!!! I miss her so much, and can't wait to hold her and have her lick me. I hope she remembers me! I plan on hanging out Saturday night for dinner or drinks with the Omaha and Lincoln family, so hopefully that will all work out! There will be some food stops for Runza and Vals along the way, as well! Something tells me there will be one night at Grandmothers for margaritas and nachos as well...just for you mom!
Jan 8 - 12...Phoenix! My dad and I always have a good time together, just relaxing, cooking (well, really, I tell him what I want to eat and he makes it for me...ha!) and drinking wine. I always end up eating random things like gouda, fresh mozzarella, proscuitto, etc...I totally raid his refrigerator when I am there. Sadly, I have to take an exam one of the days I am with him, but it will be okay. It will probably be the warmest temperatures that I will have while in the US.
Jan 12 - 15...Dallas! Of course, Tim and Jessica, Lisa, Ashley, Brittany Baker. There are a few people still connected with Neiman's that I would like to see as well. Again, the food - MEXICAN here we come! Mi Cocina, maybe Joe T Garcia's, Gloria's...Fireside Pies, Potbelly! I know I sound like a little fat kid, but food is sooo different in Europe and in Denmark. I need to get my fix while I am home.
Jan 15 - 18...StL. Back in the Lou. Will see Kelly and Naz again mainly, just winding the US trip back down and gearing up to head back to Denmark. The big variable is Lincoln - I need to doublecheck with the airline these days to see if she can fly back to Denmark with me. If so, I will either need to fly quickly to Nebraska, rent a car and drive back, or maybe meet someone in Kansas City to get her. I know a lot of you think I am crazy for wanting to bring her back with me, but I miss her so much and it breaks my heart to think she won't even know who I am when this is all said and done. Plus I have many good friends who have offered to babysit her in Denmark!
At any rate, the countdown is on. I will be home, in Kelly's car on the way to Belle-Vegas, making her stop off at a Taco Bell drive thru for a nacho bell grande and a Dr. Pepper...in 15 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
See you all soon....love and miss you. Hard to believe it will have been between 4 and 5 months since I have seen you and spoken with most of you. Damn, time flies.

No comments: