Saturday, December 13, 2008

Ski Trip to France!

I just paid the rest of my deposit yesterday for my first REAL ski trip (Hidden Valley does not count...and I haven't even skied in Colorado!), and it will be in...........FRANCE!

Rachel and I have decided to go with about 70 students from ASB. The ski trip was arranged by Studenterlauget, the student union at ASB. We will be taking a bus to France (god knows how long that will take), and our destination is Northern France - Avoriaz!

We leave on January 30th and come back on February 8th. I am SOO excited. My one and only experience with skiing was when I was about ten, at Hidden Valley in St. Louis, with the Boy Scouts (of course, I had to tag along to everything!). Lets just say, that ski trip ended with my leg being all busted up. I was skiing with my dad, lost control, couldn't stop, slid down the hill on my stomach. One ski flew off and banged the ENTIRE length of my shin. I ended face down with my head under an orange plastic construction fence. My dad skiied up to me and was laughing. I felt like my leg had been ripped open and was pouring out blood. I didn't cry until we got to the Lodge and I saw my mom and started bawling. She pulled up my pant leg, and it was IMMEDIATELY green, purple, yellow and blue...you name it. It was an AWESOME bruise, and I had it for many weeks :) I am sure Tim, Kev, Mom and Dad will remember that!

Hopefully, in my older, wiser years, I won't run into those problems on REAL mountains. I am athletic, so I am hoping I can pick up this sport easily.

Avoriaz is ranked among the top 5 destinations in Europe for skiing. We got a REALLY cheap deal (think $600) that is essentially all-inclusive: lift tickets, transportation, lodging, etc etc. Couldn't pass up that opportunity :)

Check out this website if you want to see the resort!

http://www.avoriaz.com/ski-holidays/ski-resort/virtual-visit.php

No comments: