Wednesday, June 9, 2010

I Like the Sound of Seagulls...

...because it means I am close to the water.

This is a weird statement to make, I realize. But I notice the sound all the time. When I am taking Lincoln for a walk by my apartment. When I am walking outside the city center. From inside my old apartment. Wherever I am, I always take notice. And it almost brings a sense of peace and relaxation to me, because I realize there is a large amount of water nearby. There is something about being by the water that has always been calming to me, and I know one day, I will live very near water.

You often notice the sound of the seagulls more when the sky the weather is great. To this point, I must say, Danes talk about the weather all the time. There are not an abundant amount of 75 degree, blue sky, sun shining days in Denmark, so Danes cherish them when they are here. They always know when the sun will come out and when there will be a break in the overcast days and a break in the rain. It is this weird phenomena - whenever the weather is good, everyone drops everything to be outside. Whether they go for a walk, or sit at an outdoor cafe, or BBQ in the park, or just lay on a blanket and read in the park, a majority of the Danes take advantage of being outside whenever possible. This is an aspect I want to continue in my life forever, whether or not I am living in the US or not. I just know that I did not spend much time outside just enjoying nature when I was living in the states.

I think as Americans, we take the weather for granted, as we typically have much better weather than what I see in Denmark.

No comments: