Monday, June 14, 2010

Is my American dream in question?

I can definitely say yes to that question. This experience of living abroad has definitely allowed me to shift my values, for the better I believe. But I will be honest - one thing scares me:

I absolutely love the way of life in Denmark. There is such a focus and emphasis on people and family and relationships. Workplaces are understanding of family life, and they only expect you to work (typically) 37 hours a week. Most everyone gets 5-6 weeks of vacation a year.

In the US, I always dreamed of a busy corporate life. I dreamed of working hard, and being rewarded for that. I dreamt of nice cars, great clothes, big houses. And I still want those things, but not as much. They are less and less important to me, and people and relationships, spending time on them and cultivating them are more important - which is fantastic in my opinion. But what scares me is can I ever lead this Danish mentality of a lifestyle, in the states? Is it possible, or as soon as I get home and start working again, will I be sucked right into the vaccuum of the American dream?

1 comment:

Suzy said...

That will be up to you and decisions you make! I think of the question you posed, often. Like how would my children's lives have been different if we lived in Laguna or Lincoln or New York or Exeter or any small town USA???? Makes ya think!