Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Thesis/Job Search

My life the past six months has been consumed with two things: my master thesis, and my job search.

I have chosen to write about internationalization and integration of educated international students in Denmark. My thesis is challenging whether or not Denmark is prepared to handle the integration process in a Danish organization because research is showing that this tiny country of 5.5 million people needs educated foreign workers in order to keep their economy as one of the top economies in the world - they simply don't have the manpower. Yet, Danes are known for being closed-off, and integration is hard for a variety of reasons.

The topic has been interesting to me, especially because it is closely related to my internship and work I have been doing at the ASB Career Centre. I am working on an EU- and mid-Jutland (the region of Denmark that I live in) funded project whose aim is to break down barriers amongst Danish companies and help them understand the benefit of hiring international students. As it stands right now, students come to Denmark to receive their education, and then end up moving back to their home countries because they can't find a job in Denmark. Bare in mind that EU citizens can attend school in Denmark for free - therefore, Danes are paying tax dollars for these EU students to attend school, and then basically throwing that money right out the window when the student opts to leave the country.

Additionally, regarding the job search process, I am looking both in Denmark and in the US. In regards to Denmark, it is not easy because I can't speak Danish fluently. It may be easier if I was open to moving to Copenhagen, but I am not. My network and friends are in Aarhus, and if I am going to stay in this country, I would like to stay here. Otherwise, I would love to go back home. I miss my friends and family terribly. But then again, the US is so big, so what city do I am for? St. Louis? Chicago? Dallas? Vegas? And on and on and on....

I have had a fairly good response rate, I guess, considering I have been out of the job market for two years and am looking to jump back in again - I guess I am now finally feeling the effects of the crisis.

Wish me luck!

No comments: