Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Weird Things in Denmark

My aunt Suzy asked me to start posting pictures of anything that I think is weird or different or unique in Denmark. I walked around taking a couple of pictures, but this was fun, so I believe this will be an ongoing, work-in-progress!

The train station in Aarhus

Train station again - I love it. Such a unique, different way to travel.

This is the funniest thing. Danes all stand at a crosswalk, even when there are no cars in sight, and wait for the light to turn green before they cross. I have never seen this before - we would always jaywalk in the states. It is sort of their respect for their laws, and non-desire to be different and stand out.


Notice the bike path next to the bus. I think it is weird that whenever you get off buses, you have to watch for bikes or you will get smoked!

They have this electronic number system everywhere - at city hall, at the pharmacy; much more high tech than our pull numbers out of that red thing.

Text TV. I will never understand this. There is a button on the remote that you press and it will show you the screen that says what show is on, or it will give you the opportunity to read some news, etc. This is a news story.

This gives you the option of choosing which news story you want to read

This is the first screen you see when you hit text tv. The show that is playing now is Two Guys, a Girl and a Pizza Place.

Just a fun Manolo Blahnik Cola Light can I got

This is cool. There is a designated tree (or a few) around the city where children go and give their pacifiers to when it is time to let them go. They grow up knowing this right-of-passage, and are excited to give it up. Kind of a cool concept.

Grocery baskets you drag on the ground. I feel like an old lady when I use these.


And again...

This is a bus stop that is decorated like a football stadium, in honor of the World Cup. Pretty cool.

This one is sideways, but it is a clock/meter inside your car window. This is how Danes 'pay for parking.' You adjust the clock to the time you park, so the meter man can walk around and see that you have not been there, for example, longer than 2 hours. The clock is also backwards, so it always takes me a second when Susanne asks me to move it for her.

A grocery store. Granted, a discount store, but...tiny. And messy.


Grocery store

Grocery store with random clothes


1 comment:

Suzy said...

Thanks Liz - Keep the pics coming. I love it!
Aunt Suzy