Monday, June 14, 2010

Mentor Workshop - Critical Question

I participate in a mentor program via my work (the Career Centre) that my good friend Susanne is in charge of. The program consists of being matched with an ASB alumni who is in the Danish labor market, and has a desire to help guide a current student in whatever ways necessary. The pictures and profiles of the mentors are posted online, and you can select the 5 you are most interested in, and then are matched accordingly. It was a great experience, and neat insight into the Danish corporate world (my mentor was a project manager in the international marketing deparmtent for specialty cheese at Arla, which is a milk and dairy company).

Anyway, to conclude the mentor year, Susanne hired a professional who works with the mentor concept named David Clutterbuck from the UK. He came and spoke to us for half of a day, and was very interesting.

Perhaps the most insightful thing he mentioned, which of course made me think, was whether or not I had 'critical questions' that were applicable to my life. By this, he meant, what sorts of things do you ask yourself in order to ensure that you are taking the steps necessary to achieve your personal dreams and goals in life? For example:

Is this going to help me achieve my career goals?
Is this the most honest way to live my life?
Will this make me happy?
Will this give me the work-life balance I am after?
Am I settling?

This definitely made me stop and think. The idea is to come up with a critical question that is most applicable to your life, use it, and then when you have evolved past that point, pick a new question that will work. And on and on.

1 comment:

Suzy said...

Made me think - I like it.