Thursday, October 16, 2008

Going to the Danish Cinema, New Job...

Last night, Rachel and I met our friends Kenneth and Johnny at the cinema to see Righteous Kill with Al Pacino and Robert Deniro. The movie was entertaining - it was kind of nice to see an American movie with American actors that was released fairly recently in the US (last month, my movie-guru brother Tim told me).

The cinema is very similar to American movie theaters. The snack section was a bit different - all self-service, like you are in a convenience store and you check out at the end. The movie ticket was ridiculous! 80 kroner per person, which is nearly $15 USD! Ouch! They don't really show as many ads before a movie as the US does now (which I hate!), but their ads are ridiculous. Think of the little cartoon ad in the US that tells you to turn your cell phone off, don't talk, etc...you get the picture, but it is harmless. The version hear is cartoon, but a woman stands up with this scandalous outfit on, her boobs are popping out of her shirt, she talks loudly on her cell phone. A man stands up next to her, says something in Danish, and the next thing you know, the man STRANGLES her, and then something falls on the woman and squishes her, and their is a pool of blood! I was laughing because you would NEVER see something like that back home!

Again, the movie was good, and it is in English, with Danish subtitles (much like American tv shows we get: King of Queens, Baywatch, Friends, That 70s show, the Hills, the original 90210, etc). But I almost get too sucked into the Danish subtitles and reading them and trying to pair the words with the English language that I forget to watch the picture!

And as in typical Danish fashion, it can rain wherever and whenever. We came out of the movie, and it was POURING. Rachel and I had to bike home through the city center, so you can't really hold an umbrella. The bike ride was probably a 15-20 min ride for us. I don't really have a good rain jacket at the moment, either, so we got SOAKED.


This picture of us doesn't really do justice to how soaked we were. You can tell by my hair, and the grey color on my North Face jacket. You can also see the spotting on my jeans...it was awful! There is some culture for you!

Got my job and started today. I am finally going to making some money!!!!!!!!!! Although I am not in as much need because the scholarship money that we are receiving now, AFTER taxes, is more than we anticipated. It is close to $1300 USD to live off of (7100 DKK, and actual Danes only get 4000 DKK to go to school!), plus I am working 15 hours a week at the Career Center at the school, and possibly will be cleaning a house every other week for some extra cash (still waiting to hear back on that). Top that off with some free education, and I should be good to go! If I chose not to travel (which will never happen), I would practically be MAKING money off of going to school and getting my Masters.

At any rate, more about the job. Their is a city-wide initiative to try and make it easier for international people to find jobs here (which it is not easy). The mayor's office is even hiring an international student for one day a week (Rachel is applying for that). At any rate, I got a job at the Karriere Centre as the international liasion between international students and the companies that we contact (they specifically wanted someone who spoke English as their first language). What is exciting about this job for me is it is a) more relevant than the filing papers at Edward Jones that was an option for me and b) I am the first international employee they have ever had. The job description isn't set, and I can basically do whatever I want. If I come up with a ton of ideas (which I have, from my own personal experience), I have the ability to create some initiatives and put some processes in place to help students like myself in the future. I can really make an impact if I want to. The people in the office are so nice and fun - today was my first day, and they made me this traditional Danish cake, which was pretty interesting. I have hit it off very well with Susanne, who I first met with twice to discuss my opportunities, and then to go over my resume and cover letter. At the second meeting, she strongly suggested I apply for the opening they had...and it all went from there.

This is the link for the career center website. You can sort of take a look if you want to see more of what I will be doing. The people pictured on the front page are who I will be working with. The girl on the very right with the yellow scarf is Susanne (actually pronounced how we would spell Susannah) is the one that I have hit it off with and who has been extremely helpful to me.
http://www.asb.dk/article.aspx?pid=7188

Leaving for Spain in the morning! We are biking to the train station, catching the 725am bus to the Aarhus airport (40 min away) and then hopping on a plane from Aarhus to the Gerona airport, which is 40 min outside of Barcelona. We are renting a car and just going from there! We will be in Barcelona for a while, but have to be in Madrid Saturay night because we are seeing a real bull fight on Sunday; we also hope to buy tickets to the Real Madrid vs. Madrid Atletico football game from scalpers. We are going to take our chances, because tickets for the match are nearly $200 USD. Yikes! After time in Madrid, we will head back to Barcelona, via the East Coast of Spain, up the Mediterranean Sea. We will spend more time in Barcelona, and fly back to Aarhus on Wednesday morning. It will be quick, but I am excited for a change of scenery. I am also really excited to be testing out my Spanish skills from the past!

No comments: