Monday, October 27, 2008

Trip to Spain

It has taken a long time to upload this, but I have actually been busy lately, if you can believe that. Last week was the first week I had my whole schedule in place - class, soccer, Danish classes and work. Danish class is two nights a week for 2.5 hours, and I actually have homework and have to prepare a lot for it. It is a hard language to learn, although I am already starting to pick up on words as I hear Danes speak them, which is a good sign. Reading the language is always easier than speaking, too.

Work has been great. The group that I work with are so nice and friendly. There is one in particular - Susanne - that is so nice and friendly, and becoming one of my good friends. She is the second Dane who I feel comfortable joking around with like I do with my friends back home, which is so exciting! Her English is amazingly good, and I am teaching her new, more difficult words as I speak them. Its kind of fun to be able to teach them something when my entire life at the moment is completely dependent on my Danish friends (for example, Susanne had to read the instructions to my new hair straightener to me because there was something wrong with it). It is the little things you don't even realize that you can't accomplish without the help of someone who speaks the language.


Anyway, Spain. It was a whirlwind trip, but something I will never forget. Rachel and I visited four cities in 5 days and saw SOOOO much! We went to Barcelona, Madrid, Valencia and Girona. We rented a car, so it was my first experience driving in a foreign country, although Spains roads are very similar to the US, especially the interstates. They drive fairly well...the only thing that is really difficult is reading street signs when you are in a city - those are not prominently displayed.


There were one or two special things about each city, for sure. If I had to rate them in order of importance to me, it would have to be Barcelona/Valencia, Girona and Madrid. I think Madrid is a completely overrated city, and did not have a ton to offer. Other than the Bullfight (which was the most amazing and frightening cultural experience to me thus far), I was not impressed.


Alright, I will take you city by city. Hopefully it will be quick and painless for you!

No comments: